Sunday, August 10, 2008

Shaving Mug



This shaving mug is about 75 or 80 years old. It belonged to my Dad. It is carnival glass. I can remember seeing him take the brush and swirl it around in the mug on the bar of shaving soap in the bottom of the mug. The shaving soap was usually a round bar of soap that fit right in the bottom of the mug.




My Dad would put just a little bit of water in on the soap and then take the brush and swirl it on the bar of soap until he got a good lather worked up. Then he would brush the lather on his face until it was all covered. Then he did his shaving.




Many bars of shaving soap were used up in this mug over the years. I can still remember the good smell of the lather when he got it on his face. I doubt if shaving soap is available any more. Men now use electric razors or if they still use lather they use the kind that comes in a spray can.




At any rate this mug has a respected place on one of my shelves and I look at it often and remember my Dad.

2 Comments:

At August 11, 2008 at 8:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember watching Grandpa shave, too, though not very often. He was usually up way before I was. I sometimes got up by the time he had breakfast to eat with him and Grandma before he went to work, but by that time, he was already shaved.

 
At August 11, 2008 at 10:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to love to watch him shave...and daddy too. I don't know why I found it entertaining, but I did! nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home