Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hula Hoops























Remember hula hoops? They were introduced back in the late 1950s. I remember that I was never able to keep the hoop going but for a few seconds. My kids could go on and on as long as their energy held out.



I did read somewhere that there was a physical reason that grownups--at least most of them--were unable to do the hula hoop thing. Something about how your body is made. I know that I never could do it and most other adults I knew also couldn't.




But it was a fun thing to try and I watched for hours while my kids and others kept that hoop twirling fast as possible forever, it seemed.



The fad soon played out but the man or whoever invented the hoop became a millionaire. In fact the man who invented the hula hoop was Richard P. Knerr. The hula hoop craze sold more than 1oo million hoops in the first 12 months after it was introduced to the public and indeed made him a very rich man.



I still can not keep the hoop going except for a few turns. Part of that may be age but I still like to think it is because an adult's body is not made to do it!

2 Comments:

At January 18, 2009 at 7:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mama bought us a lime-green hula hoop when they came out around 1958. I have some photos of her hula hooping. Several years later, the craze was kind of revived with the Shoop-Shoop -- a hula hoop with beads or something similar inside that made a shoop-shoop sound when you used them. I think NK had one of those.

 
At January 18, 2009 at 12:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not remember the other kind of hoop, the shoop shoop. I was thrilled with your pictures of Sara!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home