Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mr. Cock-a-Doodle-Doo




When we had chickens back when I was a kid, I remember every morning hearing the roosters crowing. It was their job to wake all of us up and get us to hit the floor running--at least my Mom and Dad. I usually didn't get up when they did but soon after.




It was irritating to be so snug in my bed sleeping and to hear that shrill, "Cock-a-doodle-do." I would turn over and pull the covers over my head and try to get my last few minutes of snoozing.




Usually we had more than one rooster so we heard more than one feisty wake up call. Most of the time they paid for their wake up calls because my Mom would kill the roosters first, before the hens, for our chicken dinners.




It has been many years since I have heard a rooster crow. Somehow, I don't really miss them!

2 Comments:

At January 19, 2009 at 7:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Nancy's Sara have something in common -- Sara hated their roosters!

 
At January 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Sara did some major celebrating when Lanny's roosters went "bye-bye"! I have to agree with her...I was quite tired of them too. There was one that was blind and so he just crowed all the time! We all have a much more restful sleep. nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home