Saturday, May 16, 2009

I am a Published Poet!


















I am a published poet--honest! Many years ago, about 44 to be exact--I had a poem published in the Grit Newspaper. Remember the Grit? I really don't know if Grit is still being published or not. I quit subscribing to it quite a few years ago because it got too expensive for me. I even used to suscribe for my mother also. She liked the Grit, as well. So I had to drop both of our subscriptions because of the raises in prices.


I used to love the Grit. It had so many homey articles in it, and it had a poetry section. I wrote the poem and sent it in. A few months later I got a letter saying my poem had been accepted for publication and a check would be sent soon. I was ecstatic.

Now that I look back--it was a minuscule check but it was a thrill for me.

But I am, I repeat, I am a published poet!

3 Comments:

At May 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the poem. I have a copy of it in one of my scrapbooks.

 
At May 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to have our Grit delivered. The little boy who brought it had a speech impediment. He would ring the doorbell and holler, "Here de Git!" He must have also been a little slow -- two years in a row, Daddy painted the porch. He put up barriers all around it with wet paint signs on them. The Grit boy just climbed right over the barriers anyway and announced "Here de Git!"

 
At May 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the poem...it's great. It's the style I enjoy reading and writing. I remember grandma laughing about that "here de git" boy. Brought back some funny memories! nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home