Thursday, May 6, 2010

Salt for Cows








When I was a kid we almost always had a cow. We had our own milk and butter.
The thing I remember most was watching the cows lick on the salt block. It was a square block of white salt and my Dad would place it on a peg stuck in the ground. The cow really liked the salt. They would lick on the block until they were satisfied.
It has been proven that cows and horses do not actually need the salt. Wild animals do not get it and they do fine. Some dairy farmers just personally think that it makes the cow give more milk and therefore they give the salt to their cows.
I am sure that salt for animals is just the same as salt for people--too much is not good!

1 Comments:

At May 7, 2010 at 2:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've learned something. I always thought the salt was for nutritional needs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home